Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Chal Chaiyya Chaiyya...


I went to go see Inside Man this past weekend ... great movie! Having both Denzel Washington and Clive Owen in a Spike Lee movie, I expected to get my money's worth, but imagine my surprise when the opening scenes of the movie started playing "Chaiyya Chaiyaa" from Dil Se! Amazing!

At first I was totally confused and really had to think about where I was, but I was pleasantly surprised that A.R. Rahman's song had made it to Hollywood. I am still rather confused as to what the song had to do with the movie. Sure, its a great song, great beat and is incredibly catchy, but where's the connection, Spike? Did you check out what the lyrics are when translated?

Whatever the reason (maybe Spike just likes the song?) I am glad to see more Hindi songs sneaking into mainstream America...Maybe we can get Clive to dance on a train with Shah Rukh next?

No comments: